Friday, January 6, 2012

January 6th - Experience and Personal Learning Plan

I'm an English major so my experience with Shakespeare has been largely force-fed. Maybe that's why I'm not exactly enamored with the man's writing. I recognize it's worth and influence but I have never read Shakespeare for fun and something dramatic would have to change in order for me to ever do so in the future. And that seems to place me in the minority within the English program. The approach to this class is unique enough that maybe that will change. I guess we will see.

I'm having a hard time figuring out a learning plan for this course because 1) Although I'm in my final semester as an undergrad I can't remember ever establishing a learning plan for a specific course and 2) This course is unique so I don't know quite what to expect. In some regards I feel like I'm just kind of along for the ride. I do have a couple general principles in mind that I hope will guide me along throughout "the ride" this semester.

The first is to embrace the different approach. Love it or hate it, I'm in the course so I may as well jump in with both feet. And some of this stuff sounds fun too.

The second is to try to find a way to tie course material into my passion for creative writing and specifically film. I plan on pursuing an MFA in Creative Writing after graduation and if I can find a way to incorporate my passion for creative writing within the framework of the course I will be much happier and produce something much better.


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your principals! I want to incorporate them myself if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate in feeling like part of the minority of English majors who do not LOVE Shakespeare. I too am trying to jump into this class with both feet, and I hope we are both successful in finding a way to better connect with Shakespeare. Dr. Burton tries to get students to look at literary works through multiple lenses. Through this approach, I believe we are in the right section to find that connection to Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete