Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Audible Version of Hamlet

I've finished listening to Act I of Hamlet and have to admit I've been pleasantly surprised. I was not looking forward to approaching the text this way but I have seen some benefit already. The biggest advantage I have found comes through character development. It is much easier for me to get a "feel" for the characters and distinguish between them when I hear them performed. It usually takes me a while to develop a clear mental picture of a character with the text alone but the audio version allowed me to do that much more quickly. I've been listening to the version through Audible with the commentary and some of that commentary has been helpful but I'm not going to finish the play with it. Not only do I not have 11+ hours to dedicate to listening to the play but I found a lot of the commentary distracting and unnecessary. The positive aspects of the commentary were outweighed by the negative for me. I've also found it helpful to follow along with the text in front of me while listening. Even though it takes longer than just reading silently, I find that I am more engaged and spend larger chunks of time reading/listening than if I have the text alone.

2 comments:

  1. It's really a cool way to interact with Shakespeare, huh? I like listening to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make some excellent point. I will try the things that you have said.

    ReplyDelete