Friday, February 3, 2012

Epiphany

It may be dramatic to call this an epiphany but I did realize something about my experience with Shakespeare while discussing some of the pros and cons of the audio versions and graphic novels of Hamlet. One of the pros we discussed is the way in which these two mediums make it easier to distinguish between characters and perhaps more fully experience their development. It is easy, when reading the text alone, to project an identical mood over all the dialogue which makes the characters blend together.
I think that might be one reason I haven't ever really enjoyed Shakespeare. For me, literature is all about characters and I've never really been crazy about any of Shakespeare's characters. I've long recognized that this was probably my fault and not "The Bard's," and this discussion gave me some insight into why I've been having problems. Until now I've only ever read Shakespeare's plays (and seen some pieces of film adaptations or watched one or two amateur theatrical productions) and I think that has kept me from fully understanding or appreciating his characters.
As I said, I realize this is more my problem than Shakespeare's and there are some drawbacks to these mediums as well* so I don't plan on abandoning original texts in the future. Instead, this has gotten me thinking about approaches to an original text that will help me better follow and appreciate Shakespeare's characters. One that came to mind is the character guide at the beginning of the Baron's graphic novel version. It more or less looks like a page from a high school yearbook but with illustrations of the main characters from Hamlet. This reminded me of Mallory's homemade version of the same idea that she used for the Merchant of Venice. I plan on making my own for the next play I read and if it doesn't suck too bad I'll remember to post it on here.

*One of the potential drawbacks we discussed in class is being annoyed by the narrator(s) of an audio version. That brought an episode of Seinfeld to mind -- George loves audiobooks because he doesn't like the sound of his own voice in his head. He has to read a book on Risk Management for work and finally finds an audio version but the narrator's voice sounds exactly like his. Here's a "highlight reel" of the episode.

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOSH THAT WAS HILARIOUS! My husband basically embodies the show Seinfeld, for better or for worse.

    I completely understand your dilemma with really getting into the characters. It makes it difficult when there are no characters in our time really like Hamlet, or MacBeth, or Ophelia...okay there are some people like Ophelia. :-) Thanks for the Seinfeld clip, made my day.

    ReplyDelete