Friday, February 10, 2012

Discussion with Dr. Lundquist

Dr. Suzanne Lundquist was kind enough to spend some time discussing some of my ideas about Jungian connections with The Tempest. My original plan was to analyze Prospero (and specifically his androgynous characteristics) through the Jungian conceptions of gender and individuation in an effort to say something (I'm not sure what specifically I want to say) about Shakespeare himself.

Dr. Lundquist pointed out that, in addition to just Prospero, other elements of the play could be viewed as elements of Shakespeare's psyche. She mentioned briefly that characters like Ariel, Caliban, Miranda or even the setting of the play itself could offer a lot of interesting possibilities for connection to Shakespeare's psyche. I was focusing on equating Prospero with Shakespeare so I hadn't considered these other possibilities. I was glad I met with her because in addition to providing some new avenues to explore she also provided the type of positive reinforcement that I think is a big part of the value of the social proof phase of this paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment