Sunday, February 26, 2012

Tweethis Statement

I sent my thesis out into the Twitter and Facebook universes as a Tweethis statement. It took some work to cut my thesis down to 140 characters and what I came up with was a little vague but I hoped it would at least spark some interest. I think I may have failed because I didn't get a whole lot of helpful feedback. This is what I came up with for my Tweethis:

A Jungian approach to The Tempest explains why Shakespeare still matters in popular culture #Shakespeare #Jung

I received only one response via Twitter, which simply said, "Prove it." So, not very helpful.

I had more success on Facebook. But only in terms of number of responses. Only two of them really even responded to the thesis -- one saying it was vague yet intriguing and another saying essentially the same thing but in a lot more words. All of the other responses fell somewhere between friendly insults, one question as to why I was doing homework on a weekend, and one link to a clip from Billy Madison that features this line: "What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard... everyone is now dumber for having heard it."

Needless to say, my experience with the Tweethis statement was not an extremely helpful one. In hindsight, I would have expanded my Tweethis for the Facebook post or at least provided more background. My full Facebook post read like this:

One of my professors has asked that we post an abbreviated version of our thesis for the Shakespeare paper we are writing. I know it's Saturday and this is Facebook but if you have any thoughts, let me know. Here it is: A Jungian approach to the The Tempest explains why Shakespeare still matters in popular culture.


Twitter's 140 character limit keeps things pretty restricted but Facebook doesn't have that limit so I probably should have given a little more detail on Jungian theory and some specifics on how I feel Shakespeare is still relevant in popular culture to help encourage discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment