Saturday, February 11, 2012

Phase One Progress Report

As part the Shakespeare research paper for English 382 I am required to document my research and writing process. According to the assignment instructions, here are the components I must include. Any requirements that have been met include a link to a post(s) that document my efforts for that component and any specific plans for components that I have yet to complete are explained:

Phase 1
Exploration - I began my process with this general idea. That idea led me to an interesting article that I mentioned in this post, and that article led me to consider some aspects of Jungian theory, as mentioned in my post, "Jungian Perspective on Prospero/Shakespeare"

Textual Analysis - The bulk of my time has been focused on finding secondary sources and social proof but textual analysis of The Tempest is going to be a crucial aspect of my paper. One example that I have already considered comes from Act V, when Prospero states, "this thing of darkness, I Acknowledge mine.

" Jung expounds the significance of this type of acknowledgment, explaining: "One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious."
 Another element of the text I plan on delving into is the setting of the play. Water, particularly the ocean, is a common symbol of the unconscious in the psyche so Shakespeare's choice of an island is relevant to my analytic approach to the text.

Social Proof (finding) - Because my topic involves Jungian theory and I'm currently taking a class on that subject I decided to begin looking for social proof both through some classmates in that class and the instructor of that class, Dr. Suzanne Lundquist. I still plan on pursuing other sources of social proof outside of BYU.

Phase 2
Performance Analysis - Yet to come

Annotated Bibliography - Yet to come
Social Proof (contacting) - Ellie is also in Dr. Lundquist's class and is researching Jungian connections with Hamlet.  Speaking with her was very beneficial and led me to a couple of the sources listed above. My conversation with Dr. Lundquist is summarized in this post. And more to come...

Phase 3 (Specifics soon to come)
"Tweethis" statement
Posted draft with peer interaction
Evaluation of a peer's draft

No comments:

Post a Comment