Thursday, January 19, 2012

Once More Unto The Breach

Dr. Burton talked about some of the speeches in Henry V. I recognized the opening line of the "Once more unto the breach..." speech most immediately as being quoted in the movie Good Will Hunting (I was going to post the clip but it includes a few strong words - search for Good Will Hunting Park Bench Scene on YouTube if you want to watch it). I poked around a bit about the speeches in Henry V. First, this clip is supposedly the "most celebrated rendition" of that speech.

I also found that typing in the opening phrase of that speech into Wikipedia brings up an article about the 157th episode of Star Trek which is entitled Once More Unto the Breach.

The St. Crispin's Day speech is another of the most famous of Shakespeare's speeches from Henry V. I was unaware that this was the source of the phrase, "Band of Brothers," which pops up regularly,  especially locally -->  BYU Football

These are just a couple more examples of Shakespearean longevity.

3 comments:

  1. Woah - I think you should've posted the scene from Good Will Hunting ... what a gem! I'm still reeling! I've never seen the movie before, but now I'm thinking that was a mistake! Great post Jake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Good Will Hunting clip was great. Just great in general and as referencing Henry V. Thanks for posting, Jake!

    ReplyDelete