Thursday, March 29, 2012

Love's Labor's Lost Response

We've been studying Love's Labor's Lost as a class and were assigned to attend BYU's production of the play. I am not a regular play goer so my opinions regarding the play aren't really informed by much. In other words, take this all for what it's worth.
The play is an adaptation of Shakespeare's original work, the most fundamental change being the setting. BYU's production set the play in the 1940s at an Allied Forces Canteen. The dialogue, however, was left untouched. Now I realize that this is a fairly common convention with Shakespeare adaptations but for this play it ended up just being distracting to me. Everything we were seeing was 1940's war era but everything we were hearing was Elizabethan English. Maybe I'm just not accustomed to this convention, that's very possible. But it didn't work for me.
That being said, I think most of the acting was really well done. I thought the guy who played Costard was really entertaining. In this adaptation, Costard is a sailor but he is plenty goofy and pretty funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment